Office Hours

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Further Reading

Concealed Carry Permits

In order to apply for an initial conceal carry permit at the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office, you must be a Hancock County, WV resident. Please bring a West Virginia driver’s license or state issued ID, the original certificate from the gun safety course required prior to application and the fee amount.

If you are renewing your current permit, you need to bring your driver’s license or photo ID, a completed application and the fee.
The fee for the West Virginia Concealed Pistol/Revolver License can be paid by cash or check. Checks need to be made out to the Sheriff of Hancock County; one in the amount of $25 and one in the amount of $75.

The fees for the permit are as follows:

  • $25 – Non-refundable Application Fee
  • $25 – West Virginia State Police Fee
  • $5 – Duplicate license Fee

All fees will be accepted at the time of application and should an application be denied, the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office will issue a refund for the $25 West Virginia State Police Fee.
A copy of the application can be downloaded and brought to the office, or one can be filled out at the office. It can be notarized prior to submission or done so at the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office.

The Hancock County Sheriff’s Office provides a list of approved firearm safety course instructors who have provided adequate information pertaining to the course along with the proper credentials. A firearm safety course can be taken with any instructor even if that individual is not on the list already.
In the event the instructor is not on the list, the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office will need a colored copy of the Instructor’s driver’s license, a colored copy of the NRA Instructor’s Credential Card (should be wallet sized card), and contact information such as a telephone number.

These items can be brought to the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office in person.

All applications are processed in office between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to give our office a call at (304) 564-3911.