Proper Disposal of Hazardous Items
Prior to bringing items to the Recycle Center we ask that you follow the proper procedure to eliminate any question or confusion.
At the Recycle Center we accept certain hazardous materials but require that they are in certain form and amounts for disposal. If not done properly, the load may be refused.
- All loads require a current paid garbage receipt from your current garbage carrier. (Ex. Waste Management, NC Sanitation, City of Weirton)
- The following items are limited in amounts and must be packed accordingly. Latex paint (5 gallons) Oil base paint (5 gallons) Used oil (5 gals) Spray paint and flammable spray lubricant products. (5 cans). Used antifreeze (5 gallons)
- To cut down on storage, we ask that you combine any latex paint in full containers. Also combine any oil base paint in full containers. Mixed colors are fine however, mixing latex and oil base paint is not acceptable. For example, small cans of latex should be combined into one full gallon can or 5 gallon bucket. The same procedure should be done with oil base paint, separately, and motor oil products separately. Large amounts of different size cans will not be accepted.
- Any empty paint cans that are dry should be disposed of in bags with your regular trash pick up.
- We suggest that you combine left over amounts of latex paint with cat litter or dry saw dust and set aside to let dry. In this form it should also be disposed of on trash pickup day. Left over spray paint and oil based paint can be used to cover any wooden of metal materials and allowed to dry.
- You can distinguish latex paint by the word “latex” on the label. Oil base paint will say oil base or flammable or combustible on the label. All oil base/alkyd paint is flammable. If you don’t have a label on the can, treat it as oil base. Most stains, clear coats, thinners are flammable and should be combined with oil base.
- Weirton residents can also dispose of used oil at the public works building off of County Road in Weirton.
- No gasoline, gas products, kerosene or diesel fuel will be accepted. All propane tanks must be emptied.
- If in doubt, call and leave a message at our facility at 304-459-3269.