(304) 564-3311 Ext. 266
P.O. Box 367
Monday Through Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Duties of the County Clerk's Office
- Official Record Keeper of the County
- Budgeting and Accounting for the County
- Responsible for All State and County Elections
- County Commission Meetings, Minutes and Records
- Civil Service Records
Use the County Clerk's office to:
- Record deeds, leases, liens, births, marriages, deaths, other judgments, military discharges
- File wills, probate papers. Please call the office for details and to schedule an appointment.
- Research deeds, liens, marriage licenses, wills, births and deaths
- For candidates filing for county offices, file reports of campaign donations and expenses
The County Clerk's Office also:
- Issues marriage licenses
- Provides certified copies of births, deaths and marriages. Please send request to above address with a S.A.S.E., name of person whose record is requested, month, day and year of birth, death or marriage, and $5.00 cash or money order (to Hancock County Clerk) for each record requested. No personal checks. Our records began in the early 1850s. Birth and death certificates after July 1978 are mostly in Brooke County, WV (304-737-3661) as the hospital relocated to that county.
- Provides copies of deeds and other documents, $1.50 for the first two pages, $1.00 for each additional page, per document (fees set by legislature)
- Records all types of miscellaneous documents (see fee schedule)
- Gives Justification of Surety (for Property Bond)